Saturday 20 February 2010

Penguin Books Tribute & Postcards










Recently I have become rather in awe of the design of Penguin Books. I like the simplicity and the adaptability of how one layout can be used to create a variety of different designs but still keeps a uniformity which makes the brand distinctive. To understand this more I decided to create the above covers using the same layout and gave them a vintage look to make them look authentic. I decided to create something of interest to me and found inspiration from a favourite story of Doctor Who and the films Bedazzled, Carry on Girls, Dawn of the Dead, Barbarella plus the Patrick McGoohan classic The Prisoner.

2 comments:

  1. My God, these are BRILLIANT!
    Your work really demonstrates the way that the '60s Penguin Books format lends everything a kind of dignity, makes anything seem mysterious and cerebral... can't really explain it. You've made Carry On Girls look like it was written by Harold Pinter or Philip Larkin!
    Reminds me of when i was a little kid, I would spend hours taking all my parents' books off the shelf just to look at the pictures on the cover, imagining what the stories were about. The pre-decimal price is the clincher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toby, many thanks for your kind words. The Marber grid certainly lends an air of authority to any subject: Carry On Girls included! The world of a past that never existed is one I aim to continue looking at further...

    ReplyDelete